Christmas and the holidays are times for gift-giving and family celebration or quiet contemplation. Whatever your schedule, I know time is limited so this week’s post is short and sweet. Let’s create a cat collage with Canva. [Revised December 2023]
For this project, you will use the free version of Canva although if you have Canva Pro it works too! Canva one of the most versatile online apps that helps you get creative faster even if you are not a designer by nature.
I could have chosen from lots of fun creative software options but Canva is widely available and I know you will love using it. So, let’s have a look at how to make a collage in Canva.
Today’s challenge is to make a quick and easy collage using the easy design program Canva
Table of contents
I want you to have some fun with your cats and your camera. You don’t need any expensive new equipment only the camera you have, and the ability to transfer images to your computer either by cable or wi-fi.Marjorie at Dash Kitten
What is Canva?
Canva is an easy to use online graphic design platform that can be used to create social media graphics, posters, invitations and a lot more. The kind of visual presentation you might need to enhance your cat photos online. Canva has free and paid options so don’t worry about it being expensive.
- There is also a smartphone photo app that works a little bit differently and that’s worth exploring for Instagram posts.
The Canva software includes lots of templates options. Making your own pictures and cat collages is easy for newbies with no design experience. There are elements like stars, shapes or text to add fun to your photos.
What Do I Need To Make My Cat Collage?
You will need the following:
- An account with Canva, which is easy to set up and the basics are free.
- A selection of your favourite cat photos
- A few minutes to watch my video tutorial and to read this post!
Let’s Create A Cat Collage
Set up your Canva account then follow these simple steps.
- Once you have your free account, you will arrive at the opening interface which is clear and easy to navigate. Take a look around.
- The quickest option for beginners is to do a search for the A4 or US Letter option for this project.
- I have chosen a simple shape for you to fill but once you become familiar with how Canva works you can explore other template options.
- A new page will open with your blank A4 or US blank shape.
- Navigate to the Background option in the left column. Choose your free background then click on it to move it to the page.
- Your background will fill the screen without the need for resizing.
- Find the Uploads icon on the left.
- Click to add your photos using the Uploads icon. Use a lower resolution for online and social media, but high-resolution images if you want to print off your cat collage as a poster, or postcard.
- Once you have your photos uploaded you drag them across to your background. Photos can be added, removed, resized, and moved around (See the video).
- Arrange your photos as you wish, then add a couple of small graphics from the Elements option in the left panel.
Finishing Your Cat Collage
Once you have an arrangement you like, save and download the finished image. Save your image at a high resoluton (300 dpi approx.) If you have a print bureau call them to ask for their preferred resolution for printables.
Canva saves your work as you go but you need to let it know when you are ready to download your work. Top right on your screen is the download icon which will display the options for downloading your work.
- 300 dpi (dots per inch) is a good resolution for print. You do not need to worry about dots and pixels for online graphics and photos. Canva will save your image at the right size.You can also resize if you want to in your own photo editing software.
There is No ‘Wrong’ In Canva!
One thing you need to remember is that you can make mistakes, get things wrong, and start all over again. Canva is very forgiving and you can delete or adjust images as much as you like. If you like an idea and want to tinker with it, create a copy of your image and rename it then start work.
I hope you enjoy this mini workshop and enjoy creating your own Holiday poster or card.