Welcome to windy Wellington!
The fabulous and fun sign is Wellington New Zealand’s version of the famous Hollywood sign, and like it’s Hollywood buddy our distinctive sign is also perched on a hill.
- The distinctive windy motif can be seen for miles across the bay.
The Wellington weather sign location has, in the past, supported other causes close to the heart of every Kiwi.
The ALL BLACKS during the Rugby World Cup, and WELLYWOOD to celebrate the city and Weta’s movie contribution to The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings films.
A competition was held to find a more permanent sign for the prominent Wellington hill and lots of entries were submitted to celebrate one of the world’s windiest cities.
The current ‘Windy Wellington’ sign was a very popular choice and I link to the other popular choice at the bottom of this post.
The road to the windy Wellington sign can be seen in the distance beyond the famous Cable Car in the Botanical Gardens, just follow the shoreline
Where is the Windy Wellington Sign?
The sign is located in the suburb of Miramar and sits near the top of the hill facing towards the airport.
It is a familiar landmark to travellers arriving in Wellington, or flying out. It is just past the new ASB Sports Stadium on the right if you head to the airport by car.
The sign is visible from the city itself. As you look at the sign you can imagine how the famous winds that blow through Wellington sweep part of the sign away into the sky!
Sights To See Around Wellington
- You can see our detailed Hobbit costume pictures.
- Read our Weta Workshop Tour report.
- Check out Tourism Wellington
- Visit the Neko Ngeru Cat Cafe in Petone with us (video)
- Take a look at a local wildlife water reserve at Pauatahanui.
- or Discover 10 things to do in New Zealand.
- A review of the contestants for the site’s signs is here.
You can’t beat Wellington on a good day!