Welcome to the inaugural Dash Kitten Video Challenge #DKVideo.
We love making movies, we have even been finalists in the 2017 BlogPaws® NosetoNose Awards, and we believe that you can have fun and make movies too! Let’s celebrate the human – animal bond.
The Aim of the Video Challenge?
The #DKVideo Challenge aims to encourage everyone who blogs, or who loves social media, to try making a video. You have a whole month for the challenge.
Whether it’s for yourself and your family, for posting on Twitter and Facebook, or for a sponsored post on a blog. Take those first steps, make a few mistakes, have a lot of fun and enter the challenge to build your skills and confidence.
If you think you can’t make a movie that gets attention, think again. Take a look at our duckling video, it was a BlogPaws® 2017 Nose to Nose Finalist.
It’s not perfect, but it captures a really special moment and it was made on the move, with an iPhone. The welfare of the duckling, and getting it to the rescue, was the first priority. The video was a bonus that was turned into a blog post that became part learning experience, and part ‘feel good’ rescue.
I Don’t Have a Video Camera for the Challenge…
Most of you will have something to make a video with. For the DK Video Challenge you just need a basic smartphone or portable movie camera. Maybe an Android/iPhone/Windows ‘phone, or an iPad, a Blackberry or maybe a GoPro.
Theen you can either download your video and edit it on a computer, or edit video ‘in the camera’. This isn’t Hollywood, the challenge is about getting out there, having fun and learning something new while making a movie.
- If you need some movie help, you can get our free 30+ page ebook ‘Make Your Pet an Internet Movie Star‘ by joining our monthly mailing list. It is packed with encouragement, information and valuable tips on planning, shooting and editing.
- Check our popular ‘Quick Tips for Video Success’ post.
- We also have some smartphone editing app suggestions here.
- The entry form for the challenge is here (no longer active Jan. 2018)
The Rules of the DK Video Challenge Easy as 1, 2, 3…..
The challenge is open to pet bloggers, and pet owners who are active on social media. We do not know how many will participate but our initial cap will be around 30 entries. This will allow us to post the videos in sets of five on the blog as they come in. [If we get more, we will be delighted, and reconsider how many we need to post at a time!]
- 100 WORDS to introduce your finished video. Your aim, or the skill you want to improve. No apologies for lack of perceived skills are permitted 🙂 This is a friendly challenge.
- TWO MINUTES maximum length on the theme PET(s) FOR ALL SEASON(s) i.e. Your pet wherever you are in the world – summer or winter, inside or out.
- STEP THREE Fill in the entry form [The entry form goes up tomorrow] and submit your finished video. Submission deadline is 31st August 2017.
The Theme is General So You Can Focus on Learning
The aim is to encourage the less confident to try video, and others to improve a skill. Your video should be about your own pets, or a rescue cat, dog or other pet. If you are confident making a video tell us how things went wrong, or how you put something right! Here’s some tips:
- Use your video challenge to show you are learning a new skill like editing,
- if you are are learning to add transitions.
- maybe it’s your first try at storytelling
- or recording a trip, or a hike to a fun place
- recording a fun memory like your cat’s adventures in a tree!
There is a Prize for the Video Challenge
It’s a fun one, a grateful Thank You for stepping up your own creative endeavours:
- A $25 Amazon Gift Card for a 501 3(c) Rescue of Your Choice
- An Inspirational Blogger’s Stationery Set
Now go and get plotting and planning. Download our 30+ page ebook which is free when you join our mailing list.
As our much loved movie friend Owen used to say ‘See you at the movies’!