Meet Smaug the Dragon! We really have something special as part of our Hobbit Costume collection from Middle-Earth – a full size Smaug model.
We created a mini movie so you can see his size and the amazing Weta work involved in creating middle earth dragons. You can also read up on earlier Middle Earth reports here and Costume Trail news here. Smaug was placed at the check-in hall at Wellington Airport. He must have given people quite a shock after the checked in then… turned around to find……. SMAUG
Facts about one of the most important dragons of Middle Earth – Smaug
- Weta Workshop built Smaug using the same 3D files Weta Digital used for the creation in The Hobbit. He is as close as you can get to the a Hobbit movie dragon!
- Smaug is 4.25m (13.9 ft) from his nose to the back of his head, 2.92m (9.58 ft) high and 2.50m (8.2 ft) wide.
- The model is 75% of the size of the real middle earth dragon in the films.
- The Dragon and his surroundings were created by a team of Weta Workshop 3D modellers and model makers, sculptors, engineers, and painters using Weta Workshop developed technologies.
- For an interesting look at the wealth of detail involved in the miniatures, movie tricks, and model of Smaug, check out the Weta model here. Spectacular.
Smaug underwent considerable development before he was revealed to the world in the Hobbit films. At one point he had more legs, differently shaped wings, and even a different face.
See you in Middle-Earth next week, don’t forget Owen’s Movie page here and the collection of Hobbit costume details here.
with Smaug the Dragon