The Petcube Play is the best cat webcam and the most stylish on the market today. As soon as word got out I would be reviewing this new home pet monitor – Petcube Play, cat parents began asking us questions.
- [Updated The Best Cat MonitorNovember 2018]
I am excited to bring you this review of the most stylish, modern and easy to use pet cam on the market. I am also including our first review of the ‘classic’ Petcube previously posted here on the blog. It’s interesting to compare the two models.
Dash Kitten received a complimentary Petcube Play for review. Our blog only shares news and products we feel are relevant to our readers because you matter to us. The opinions here are 100% our own and we are responsible for the content of this post and the affiliate links included.
The Petcube Play Report
I am reporting on one cool piece of cat technology. The Petcube Play is a fun and useful pet surveillance camera for every pet parent! It allows you to keep an eye on your cat or dog, and to communicate by voice if they need reassurance or interaction. This happens through your ‘phone while you are away. Even if you are somewhere else in your home, it’s fun to check the Petcube wifi pet camera.
“Is the Play Bigger? Better?” The Play is lighter and more compact than the classic Petcube home camera, as you can see from the comparison picture. It continues the development of stylish design and product enhancement begun by its bigger sibling. The camera stands a mere 7.5 cms square or 3x3x3 inches and comes with a generous 2.7 metres (9 feet) of cable, allowing you to position the Play at different heights.
“What does the Petcube Play DO?”
This was the big question from our readers. Let’s me give you a rundown of the camera highlights:
- The Play streams video at 1080p which is High Definition video. A bit too technical? Try this to get a better idea. The BBC, EBU and all major USA channels use HD at 1080, as does your Blu-ray player. It’s that good. It also looks great on your smartphone.
- There is a fun laser for you to use when playing with your pet. The laser is certified safe for pets and human use. We have used the laser as a great toy when visiting other Play-mates around the world and feel happy using it on our own Petcube.
- There is clear two-way audio between you and your pet. You can chat on the pet cam from anywhere, although Mum does shut up sometimes!
- Sound and Motion Alerts This a big reason many people buy a pet monitor. The ‘Alert’ setting triggers a notification to you when there is movement or sound. This is useful if you have a pet you need to keep an eye on – a senior, or a nursing mom, foster kittens or a puppy in a crate. Settings for this are easy to adjust (even for my paws).
- FUN TIP You can now add a bio for each of your fur family. The Dash Kitten Crew aim to squeeze as many of us on as we can! Let people know who your pets are, it gives them a reason to get in touch with a fellow cat lover.
- Petcube Play changes and adjustments are made in the easy to find ‘Camera Settings’ section of the Petcube easy to use app (see our picture). There have been multiple upgrades to the smartphone interface and app for the Petcube. This home camera consistently on top of the pet monitor game which is impressive and reassuring.
Petcube Play Report – The Special Features
There are some cool special pet cam features that you really need to know about. They take pet monitoring devices to a whole new level!
- The Night Vision Camera. This is the major update for many cat camera fans, and it is the most fun ever! Not only does it allow you to see your pets during the day, but you can also keep an eye on them out when they are active during the night. How busy are your cats at night? You may be surprised.
- Every user get 4 hours of free CARE video history time. The video is set to record by two simple triggers, movement or sound. For the free video it records for four hours, then starts again! You have the ability to download and save video segments to show friends. Your settings are simple to adjust for auto recording, and you can also stop your CARE recording by setting it to ‘sleep‘ at any time.
- FUN TIP Night vision makes your house look really different! Check out our daytime curtains, and the night-time version! Mum wishes we really had white curtains!
CARE video expansion packs
You also have the option to buy more Cloud time, if you need it. Again, for specific purposes, this can be very useful e.g. a sick pet, noting how often a pet moves, monitoring a sick kitten or nursing mom. We have the three-day option which allows us to track cat movement at the camera location.
The Petcube Community
Finally, we need to mention one thing we really like that the publicity doesn’t spotlight – the growing community of Petcube members. You can see pictures other users have posted, and comment on them via the Petcube app on your smartphone. This is one of the real treats of the Petcube community, as cat cafes, ordinary people, rescues, and vet hospitals all have Petcubes, allowing you a glimpse into another pet world to your own.
Where do I find a Petcube
The Petcube Play is easy to use, and reassuring to have in our home. We think you should check them out and get free shipping (USA friends) or check the worldwide store to start exploring Petcube now.
Original Review of the 2016 Petcube
You can compare the older (2016) version with its modern counterpart,
I first met the Petcube Camera and their Senior Marketing Manager, Rachel Youens, at BlogPaws® in June 2016, and we were impressed.
I welcomed the chance to review this fun piece of pet tech equipment. Sure, there are plenty of pet cameras on the market, but they are of variable quality and none, I believe, matches the Petcube‘s functionality, ease of use, and stylish design.
Dash Kitten received a complimentary Petcube classic webcam for review. We only share news and products we feel are relevant to our readers. The opinions here are 100% our own and we are responsible for the content of this post and any affiliate links.
Petcube Magic Connecting Pets and Parents
Here at Dash Kitten I have been testing the 720p Video model, which has 2-Way Audio, a built-in laser toy and is available in three colours; matt silver, rose-pink or black. We can tell you that we love it, and it’s a lot of fun!
Location, Location, Location!
It took me a little time to find the best spot for our interactive cat camera.
On our visits to the Petcube community, we have seen a variety of ‘locations’. Living rooms, workrooms, rescues, cat cafes, and rooms specifically set up as a family pet room.
We have set up our Petcube where it gets plenty of natural light, and the location balances privacy for the humans with a view of the cat flap for monitoring family activity. We tried the hall but, aside from the good length, we found the lighting was poor. In its current location, the camera is popular. The Petcube is busy with lots of visits coming to DashKitten’s camera in New Zealand during ‘opening hours’.
Let us give you a quick rundown of the best pet video camera on the market from the point of view of a constantly fussing Mum and her fur family.
- The camera is good quality and has a spacious wide-angle lens of 138 degrees. So, no wishing you could move the camera, just – a – bit…
- The camera has two-way audio so you can chat with your pet.
- It has non slip feet and a chew proof cord!
- The Petcube has a controllable 5mW laser beam. The laser is safe, but, respect the product and what lasers can do OK?
- Your smartphone can take photographs or video footage of your pet in action for you to show off.
Petcube Magic and the Pet Camera App
The plus points are mounting in the Petcube‘s favour – right? To the list we can add the pet monitor app. This is simple to use and works on our iPhone (iOS 8.0 or higher), as well as Dad’s Android (4.0 or higher). The app actually works on Mum’s older iPhone 4S, so we think it will function most recent ‘phones.
The camera is clear and picks up plenty of detail. It is easy to set up and you remain in total control at all times.
As pet monitor apps go this one is clean, simple and easy to navigate. The app works best with a good signal on your phone – which is fair enough as you are using a mobile telephone, an app and a wifi network.
A lighter signal might cause a bit of frustration if, like us, you live near a hill, but, once we situated our PetCube where it picked up a a clear signal things began to really rock, and we mean rock. The Petcube stood firmly on its perch during the 7.8 earthquake the Dash Kitten crew felt in late November 2016. Those non-slip feet work very well.
What does the Petcube App do?
- The App allows you to set up sound and motion notifications, so you can monitor pet movement.
- Let’s you schedule some playtime so your cat or pup doesn’t get too bored.
- The app is easy to use and set up on your smartphone. If we can do it you can too.
- You keep full control of who has access to the Petcube at all times, and when they can view your cats or pups.
- There are three sharing options for your Pecube. Family – always available exclusively to your family members, Friends – for whom you set opening times, they can play with your pet and talk to them (if you wish) and Public which is available to all – you set the times and settings for the camera’s time online – for public these can be more restricted.
Petcube Magic and What Might Go Wrong
From our experience for this review, things like moving, resetting the Petcube, or plugging it into different outlets. Many issues may come down to one thing signal strength, as well as setting up your pet monitor properly. This is not hard but everyone makes a mistake sometimes, so just retrace your steps and try again if the Petcube isn’t working.
Can They Make The Best Pet Camera Even Better?
Yes they can.
Petcube Care was recently introduced. Petcube owners get 4 free hours of recording time, with an optional paid subscription service that allows you to store 10 or 30 days of video history in the cloud. Comprehensive details of Petcube Care can be found here.
Research and development is progressing as such a speed that while we were assessing the Petcube 720p for review, the new night vision enabled Petcube Play 1080p appeared (see above), and the new Petcube Bites – a pet camera with an integral treat dispenser.
How popular is the concept of an elegant design focused treat dispenser? Well, it exceeded its Kickstarter goal by 159% For the pet parent who worries about what is happening at home, or wants to engage their pet in some online play. This is the perfect gift!