Our post last week about Probonix and probiotics by Humarian prompted a lot of comment. We are happy to follow up our post with answers to some of the questions arising from our probiotics for pets review.
Probonix How Much? How Often?
The Humarian formulation is suspended in a proprietary liquid that is super easy to dispense on to your cat’s or dog’s food. There is no mixing, and your pet will not be put off by powdered probiotics on its food. Probonix is GMO free and a tasty liver flavour which obligate carnivores like cats love.
- 6 probiotic drops for cats
- 8 probiotic drops a day for a dog
NOTE: You can start the full dose of liquid probiotics for cat (and dogs) immediately, you do not need to build up to the correct dosage over time.
Are there Probiotics in Cat Food?
Are there probiotics in dog food? Well, we have done some reading on the best feline probiotics and none appear in processed foods. This is because probiotics are sensitive to moisture and heat and when added to pet food or dried kibble they are virtually useless by the time your cat eats them*.
Sorry but probiotics are a major and sensitive player in your pet’s gut. We need to think of them as free spirits that cannot be contained, not a commodity that can be processed and dried.
Digestive care dog food, and cat food will contain many things to alleviate a pet’s possible digestive condition. This is why several are prescription only, but they will not contain healthy active probiotics that help balance cat enzymes and encourage good gut health.
Cross Species Goodness
One of the things we learned was many people did not realise that probiotics can be taken by different species!
- Adult Humans
- Children (OK not a different species but, you know…..)
The reason I like Humarian is because they have well tested, expertly formulated probiotics for each of us. The quality of the bacteria (remember how I discuss them here?) is very important. You do not have to look for human probiotics for cats thanks to Humarian.
Are Your Prepared for Stomach Upsets?
One commenter mentioned that she keeps probiotics on hand for her dogs digestive upsets. This is a great idea. Being prepared might mean having an unopened bottle on hand. Probonix have a long shelf-life if unopened our recent order (April 2018) expires in August 2019.
With probiotics in your first aid kit, you are ready to take action if you feel your cat, dog, or even a fellow human is suffering from the following:
- Digestive Issues
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Yeast Infections
We also strongly recommend that if you have any worries about your cat’s health that consult a veterinarian immediately.
Do Probiotics need to be refrigerated?
Some do, and some don’t. Let’s spotlight our buddy the bacteria and show you it’s life cycle. This might explain why for you:
The life cycle of probiotic bacteria has four stages
- Lag phase – Bacteria mature and grow in size, but they are not yet able to divide. They adapt to their environment during this phase (remember this point for later, it’s important).
- Growth (or Exponential) phase – This is the growth period where bacteria use nutrients to replicate and build metabolic waste. Bacteria are most susceptible to harmful environmental conditions during this phase (this point is very important too).
- Static (or Stationary) phase – Bacteria enter this phase when growth and death rates are equal. It kicks in when nutrients needed for replication are depleted, or waste generated from replication blocks further growth.
- Death phase – Growth stops, and the bacteria start to die off
Bacteria need to be chilled at the growth phase on their life cycle only. You will find a helpful explanation that goes into depth about Humarian liquid probiotics, and pet probiotics generally here.
My Pet has a Delicate Stomach, can Probiotics help?
Probonix is an organic, non-GMO, and all natural supplement free from gluten, dairy, sugar, soy, eggs, fish/shellfish, and peanuts/tree nuts. This should please your veterinarian, as they look for potential allergy triggers in food.
Probonix is helping our senior boy Harvey stabilise his senior gut health in between his 6 monthly wellness checkups. (You do take your cat top the vet at least once a year – right?) When he doesn’t hide his poop outside I can verify it is healthy and solid!
As always, we recommend probiotics as part of a wellness regime for your pet, including regular vet visits. Buy best food you can, and a probiotic supplement like Probonix. On a budget? Check what is in bags of cat food that are known allergy triggers. See if your dog food company have their ingredients list online.
- Sometimes, no matter how hard you try your pet won’t to eat much except Brand X. Try to add some healthier raw or freeze dried options for variety alongside the Probonix. The ‘net is full of helpful healthy eating posts for pets.
I have Celiac Disease Will Probiotics Help?
A couple of Celiac readers have commented that they were recommended probiotics as part of their daily diet. The human variety of Humarian’s probiotics is also a great way for everyone to amp up your gut health. I use the Women’s formulation and Dash Dad Paul uses the Adult.
- Taking human Probonix is simple. Just put eight drops on your tongue or in your favorite unheated drink once a day. No fussing with powders or measures.
Can I Add Probiotics to Hot Food?
Not all probiotics cannot survive in very hot temperatures. It is a complex issue but Humarian recommend letting hot food cool before adding Probonix for pets, and suggest cool water for human probiotics. Some companies may differ in their application.
I hope we managed to cover the major questions asked by our readers. Thank you for your valuable responses as humans and as pet parents.
Why Not Try Probonix now?
As Humarian Ambassadors we can offer you 20% off your first order of both pet and human probiotics use code DASHKITTEN. They ship super fast too.