How many times have you tried to take a terrific pet photo and got the back of a head? If you are like me it’s so many you lose count. They look away at just the wrong moment.
Oh. The frustration!
But, let’s take a breath here, because there may be hope for our poor pet portrait.
When I first downloaded this photograph of Natasha my reaction was like yours. Oh no, I missed her looking at me.
But wait, let me take another look.
I decided it is actually a fun portrait. Why? Because not every portrait faces front. Some are profiles and some, like this one capture a cat whose attention is definitely focused elsewhere out of the shot.
The other cool thing is I transformed the photograph into black and white. I love working in monochrome. It helps to encourage you to ‘think different’ before you delete a pet photo and just pause your finger before it hits that delete button.
Natasha is the perfect model as she is black and white herself and has a certain amount of attitude when I take her portrait.
- Natasha was the perfect model for our ‘effective Fill Flash‘ post.
Even a beginner has access to basic or free photo editing software. Make the most of this and have some fun. It often takes a littl while to learn the collest tricks but it is worth a bit of your time.
Free Software Resources
- GIMP – A steep learning curve but with video tutorials on YouTube you can be off to a good start. Available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
- PAINT.net – An intuitive free photo editing software aimed at those looking for an easy-to-use free image editing software that offers high-quality results.
- Photoscape X – The program includes thousands of filters, frames, brushes, shape crops, smart cut out tools, a colour picker, and clone stamps. Mac and Windows.
- BeFunky – As used by our friend Bionic Basil. BeFunky offers easy-to-use photo editing tools that enable users of all levels to easily achieve professional results. Its interface is uncluttered and user-friendly, making it easy to find the right tools and see the effects on the image in real-time.