Beloved Pet Furniture
We love working with natural materials that are sourced locally and sustainably. Materials we use included plywood, natural wood and wool.Beloved Pet’s FAQ
Tips for Measuring Cat Stairs
If you are worried and need help measuring email Beloved Pets.
I admit that without my partner’s help I would not have had been able to work out the number of steps and fit them into the amount of space we have. Measuring and numbers intimidate me so, on my own, I would have definitely emailed Stu and Bes for help.
Beloved Pets prides itself on the quality of its workmanship, so accurate measurements are important. Never hesitate to call them for help. It will save you time, and money.
- To get an idea of what you need, check the list of tips below.
How To Measure
- Decide on the location of your cat stairs. Are they going to be placed beside a bed, a sofa or beside a window?
- Work out how high the stairs need to be for your cat to step off onto the bed or sofa and how much space you have to fit them in.
- NOTE: If you look at my photos of the pet steps profile, you will see the unit comes half way along the side of our bed leaving me plenty of space to get into bed.
- Not enough room along the side of the bed? Rethink your location. Would they work at the foot of the bed?
- When in doubt, I suggest emailing Beloved Pets with your questions. They would prefer lots of questions to an ill-fitting set of steps (or a ramp that is too short).
Jack’s Cat Steps Arrive
Every day until the steps arrived I was telling Jack that ‘his steps were coming‘! OK, I admit I was more excited than he was, so when the courier van pulled up with a bulky parcel I could not wait to unwrap it. Then all I had to do was unfold the step support and put the finished set of steps beside the bed. Voilà!
- Jack took a little longer to admit his steps were exactly what his senior bones needed. One week to be exact! The narrow cat sized steps were, he realised, perfect for him for an independent senior cat.
We tempted Jack with treats on each step. We put his food on the top step to encourage him to climb up. We praised him every time he put a paw on the steps, and this gentle encouragement worked. Now Jack walks up and down the steps with complete confidence. I suspect that watching the other cats go up and down the steps, as though it was the most natural thing in the world, helped a little too. No cat wants to be left out!
Are We Happy With Our Custom Cat Steps?
Yes, most definitely.
We were given a clear time frame for the creation of the steps and an approximate delivery date. Had we lived in Wellington we could even have collected Jack’s steps ourselves but we decided on home delivery which was prompt. The parcel was securely wrapped against any damage and the steps are now very much a part of all of our cats’ lives!
Beloved Pet Furniture ship through New Zealand (also further away, depending on the cost and your location) and they can be contacted here for the best pet steps NZ has to offer:
This post is an award winner at the Annual CWA – Cat Writers’ Communications Contest for the year 2022
Marjorie is a motorbike riding blogger and award winning cat photographer who believes that everyone can create impressive cat photographs and fun movies with the camera they carry.
She is a Professional Member of the Cat Writers Association, Kuykendall Image Award winner and published photographer at the Guardian newspaper.