Make Bitly work for your blog! It’s a must do for bloggers and sharers if you want to boost readership for a particular, perhaps a promotional, post.
Making Bitly work for us has been a no-brainer for a long time in social media. New readers may have missed our post introducing Bitly so check it here, that post will have you up to speed in no time.
This post post concentrates on the ability to personalise your links using the ‘customise’ option in Bitly. Let’s use a recent post by our buddy Savannah at Savannah’s Paw Tracks for our sample. Savvy reported on the great Natural Balance cat food she and Sage tried. The link looks like this :-
http:// savannahspawtracks.com /2015/12/14/ a-wildness-pursuit-with-natural-balance /
Think for a moment. If you share that it’s 80+ characters long, and on Twitter it would cut into your word count in a big way. Here’s how we would take our pal’s post and shrink it to a very shareable size while adding a personalised touch.
Make Bitly Work and Customise a Bitly Link for your Blog
- Copy your full blog post link from the address bar
- Log into Bitly.com (you can use email/Twitter/FB) and Bitly respects your privacy.
- A page opens with a friendly fish graphic at the top.
- Paste your link there (see our picture above)
- Then click the friendly fish – taking care not to click anything else or you lose the opportunity to customise.
- You will see a column on the right side of your browser – with a link already generated – under this is a box is the ‘CUSTOMIZE BITLINK’
- Here you can tailor your own ‘statement’ where we put a red letter X
Customising Bitly – Suggestions
It is now that you bring your creative invention into play when you make Bitly work. You will find a lot of simpler and ordinary titles will already have been used, and these can’t be used again; so you need to think if your own unique spin on your tiny link. For our book review we used http://bit.ly/BernardSocksIsHere, for a ‘blogging better’ post – http://bit.ly/AnnoyingBloggers
For our post sample we drew on the sponsor’s identity, using NB from Natural Balance and twinning it with Savannah’s shorter name ‘Savvy‘ to create NBSavvy which is fun and a whole lot less than 80+ characters!
What can you do with your next important post to get the attention of more readers? Why don’t you try customising it with a cool Bitly link? We will do our best to answer any questions from our user experience so please feel free to ask in the comments.