Its National Justice for Animals Week and it’s me, Dusty Cat, with help from model Miranda, presenting our post about this valuable, America-based, event aimed as raising public awareness about animal abuse sponsored by the Animal Legal Defence Fund a respected animal defence organisation.
We are also taking this opportunity to join Brian Frum and his family for Thankful Thursday for all the thing we are thankful for!
National Justice for Animals Week
The abuse of animals is an emotive and contentious issue. It is something we must constantly speak out about, whether it is an abused cat, a dog or a wild lion like murdered Cecil. Lawyers are working hard to pursue many of these people through judicial systems worldwide – so this might need to be renamed…….
International Justice for Animals Week!
Here is a handful of cases we know about, and we know you could probably add your own to this short, but high-profile, list from the Dash Kitten Crew.
- The shocking attitude of a vet after murdering a well-known local family pet she claimed was a ‘feral’ cat. She then posed with his body on social media. This case is not yet settled – many people are pressing for her removal from the veterinary register. [See Twitter hashtag #JusticeforTiger].
- The current threat in Great Britain of a murderous cat killer, generating fear though the country [see #UKCatKiller on Twitter]. The killer has not yet been caught, but the British police are taking the matter very seriously.
- The case of Baby, a dog owned by a disabled US veteran, who is the subject of an illegal euthanasia order. His life is being fought for through the courts in America by The Piccone Law Company (Facebook).
- The feral cats in New Zealand. Victimised by humans who should know better. Humans who should be helping launch TNR campaigns to help reduce the feral populations. Outpawed is working hard for ferals in New Zealand, other small groups fight for ferals and work country wide.
[tweetshare tweet=”#JusticeForAnimalsWeek is right now! See what you can do to help animals.” username=”whskr”]
We Need To Make Clear and Unequivocal Demands for Justice for Animals
These animals are the tip of an abuse iceberg of kitten farms, puppy mills and unregulated hoarding situations (like the one Harvey was rescued from). These suggestions would be a first step :-
- Locally approved Trap Neuter Return for feral communities worldwide.
- Stop the flood of animals to shelters with Low Cost Spay and Neutering for pets whether it is local authorities, pet rescues or organisations like Lucy’s Pet Foundation (Check their neutering clinic schedule).
- Much stronger penalties for animal abuse worldwide.
- Tackle ferals by turning the spotlight towards the humans who dump the animals in the first place and introducing fines. It is working for Project Bay Cat – it can work elsewhere.
- For USA and Canada readers – know your local laws. USA/Canada legislation
Every small act of help is a blow to help achieve justice for animals, wherever we are in the world. We need to contact our local legislators, write to people – NOT just email (what else if the ‘delete’ key for), be aware of pet theft, and share information viayour friends and social media outlets. The Animal Legal Defence Fund has a list of calls to action on their page for US folks here.
All Of These Actions Will Help Us Get Justice for Animals
Thank you for joining the fight, every one of us is needed – NOW.
Justice for Animals Advocate