I thought I would set a cat photography challenge as a skill builder for myself and
Interested? Grab your camera and pick a challenge to try, you can work through all ten, or pick one or two.
A challenge, even if it is self-paced, can be a great opportunity to discover more about your compact or your DSLR. If you have a GoPro you can even try small video clips then edit and upload to YouTube.
Why a 10 Day Challenge?
A relaxed challenge and skill builder is the opposite of a fierce competitive athletic event, no pressure and more fun. If something doesn’t work you can try again, after you have figured out what went wrong.
June and July will be a great time to take pictures with your pet, good light in the northern hemisphere on summer days. In the southern
Here’s why I chose a 10 Day Pet Photography Challenge :
- TOP TIP: Horrible pictures happen to EVERYONE! Even David Bailey took bad pictures sometimes.
- This is meant to be a fun way to expand your pet picture skills.
- Do it for fun, not frustration. If something hasn’t worked, take a breath, sit down for a moment with your manual or ask a question online. Maybe the Crew can help, get in touch.
- Use the challenges to expand your cat photography skills or dogs in action photographs, or close-up focusing. Try a different time of day.
- TOP TIP: You are not pretending to be an ‘expert’. If you attempt five that’s great, two is fine. Make a start.
- You have until the end of July!
Pet Photography Challenge Ideas
I have added some prompts for you to try in brackets if you need inspiration:
- Patterns in the Fur. (Whiskers, muzzle fur, ear furnishings).
- A Silhouette.
- A close-up (front, back, side).
- Pets and Technology (Do they use your phone, or watch TV ?)
- Night time pets (sleep, repose or stalking the garden.)
- Pet in a window or the garden (Bird TV?)
- Pets with a Crazy Filter.
- Black and White picture (shoot of B/W or colour and change in photo software).
- Composition with your pet(s). Find tips here.
- The Favourite Pet Toy.
Enter the Pet Photography Challenge
At the moment I need to work on my settings because I have a lot of very over-exposed pictures.
What will your biggest challenge be in a 10 Day Pet Photography Challenge? Let me know in the comments.