Welcome to my latest update on the fantastic Tab Cat Tracker a.k.a. the Tabcat V2. This review tells you how it works, what it can do (with a video), and why you will appreciate a lightweight tracking locator that works inside and outside for cats, with unequaled positional accuracy.
The Tabcat locator means you can find your cat faster.
Dash Kitten received a complimentary original Loc8tor Tabcat Tracker cat locator for review and is a committed Tabcat affiliate. The opinions here are my own and I am responsible for the content of this post.
The popular Loc8tor pet tracker has undergone a redesign with new developments that include increased range and updated styling. The latest version of the boasts a more compact (and cat wearable) design.
Check my video of the Tabcat Tracker in use for an example of how successful cat recovery works. The range has increased from 400 to 600 feet!
Demonstration Video of the Tabcat Tracker
Table of contents
- Demonstration Video of the Tabcat Tracker
- Locating Lost and Missing Cats
- Technologies That Track Missing Cats
- How Does A Tabcat Cat Locator Work?
- How the Tabcat Cat Locator Can Help You
- How to Set Up Your Tabcat Tracker
- What Range Does The Tabcat Cat Locator Have?
- Are we happy with our Tabcat Cat Locator?
- Bonus Cat Tracking Movie
- Tips For Locating Your Tag with Tabcat Tracker
- The Cost of the Best Tracker for Pets?
Locating Lost and Missing Cats
Cats need to be identifiable, and locatable, inside and outside, as much as possible. Indoor cats can disappear for what seems like forever and a tracker plus microchipping can play a critical part in locating your cat outside, especially if they are frightened into running further away from home.
Let’s start with why a tracker might matter to you. I will show you the different types technology and tracker you can look find in shops and online. Yes, there are different types of technology as I found when I began my research! Not all of the Tabcat reviews explore this area but, I think you will be interested.
Technologies That Track Missing Cats
Before you spend money on a tracker, you need to know two things, (because the knowledge let’s you make the right decisions).
How the trackers work, and what technology do they use. There are 3 types of technologies currently used to help find or identify cats, dogs, and other large pets. Technology constantly develops but this remains an accurate summary. Cat GPS tracking is more expensive as it relies of sophisicated technology including satellites – there is usually a monthly fee).
- Microchip implants and trackers (RFID) like Tabcat
- Radio Frequency 2.4GHZ (Zigbee)
- Global Positioning System (GPS) & GSM (best for dogs as the tracker is larger/heavier)
How Does A Tabcat Cat Locator Work?
The RFID Tabcat location system is sophisticated technology on a very friendly and human scale. It is a lightweight tracker for a cat that you can use with ease. Both the circular model (still available) and the new streamlined model are portable and light.
This is most definitely not an interactive cat toy, it is a serious piece of safety equipment every pet parent will be interested in for cats who love their gardens, or who go missing within your home. Tabcat is not a substitute for a microchip so, please, ensure your cat is microchipped. The number of stories of pets reunited with owners grows daily. Chips reunite cats and owners.
- Tabcat simple to set up, and super easy to use. Tabcat has no monthly GPS tracker subscription.
Each tag is linked to the handset in a simple one-step procedure and there is room for up to four tags (four cats, four dogs or even four items!) on one handset.
The basic Tabcat set contains:-
- A slimline Handset. The handset is about the size of a credit card – slender and lightweight. We keep ours by the back door.
- Two Tags
- Showerproof Covers for the tags. (older model)
- An illustrated User Guide that is easy to use, with an online pdf on Tabcat Cat Locator website (see sources below).
- The Tabcat also has a 2-year Manufacturer’s Guarantee
Note:- Spare tags, and Tabcat replacement cases are available for a modest extra cost.
The handset is an RF Tracker. This means ‘Radio Frequency’ (2.4ghz). Tabcat is very accurate and sends a direct signal between you and the tag when you operate the handset which is the size and shape of a credit card. This close transmission signal keeps battery use low, so the tag battery lasts a lot longer.
Tabcat is the revolutionary cat tracking device that lets you keep on top of the whereabouts of your pet. Attaching easily to your cat’s collar, the device is lightweight but robust enough to stay on whatever they get up to.
How the Tabcat Cat Locator Can Help You
The best way to show you is an example of how it would have helped us personally. This is our own experience with our much-loved senior cat Peanut, a couple of years ago:-
- Peanut, (18) went out into the garden and took a wrong turn. Thankfully the weather was warm BUT when we realised she had gone, we were frantic with worry. Disorientated, Peanut was discovered behind the garage safe and well but with a Tabcat locator, we would have discovered Peanut in less than a minute!
I also want to include a fellow cat lover’s missing cat experience from July 2021:
- Runaway cat Sawyer disappeared (without a tracker) for 24 long days. Yes, Sawyer now has a tracker. If he runs away again he will not cause his parents as much worry!
How to Set Up Your Tabcat Tracker
Set up is easy but I really appreciated the Tabcat instructions to give me a clear idea of what I was doing:
“To register the tag to button 1, hold button 1 down for three seconds until you hear a high-pitched beep. When this beep is heard release the button but keep the tag and the handset together until you hear a long high pitched beep.” – Tabcat
A similar scenario might play out in a multi-level house, or an apartment with several rooms and plenty of hiding places. This lightweight radio frequency tracker is worth its weight in pure top-grade catnip for your own peace of mind.
- Extra questions? I am only an email away.
A TabCat Question
Isn’t the homing tag big for a cat?
This was our first thought when fitting the tags to Silver, Jack (ginger) and Natasha (tuxedo) who appear in the video. Each has a tag on their collar, and none of them shows any sign of irritation, or even acknowledging the tag is there. It’s business as usual for them because there is no heavy weight around their necks.
This quote from MyTabCat gives you an idea of how much a cat tracking device should weigh:-
“A study** carried out in New Zealand and published in 2015, looked at the impact of collar-mounted track devices on domestic cats. They recorded cats wearing GPS tracking devices weighing between 30g and 130g and looked to understand the devices impact behaviour and movement. They concluded that GPS collars on cats; “should be no more than 2% of body mass”. For an average cat weighing 4kg, this equates to 8g.“ – Tabcat **
What Range Does The Tabcat Cat Locator Have?
The July 2022 tracker signal now reaches reaches about 182 mts/600 feet, and, unlike many GPS units, it can scan through a house or a wall.
We have been able to successfully locate our two cats Silver and Natasha by standing still, switching on the tracker handset, and then turning in a slow circle until we contact their tag signal. This works inside and outside our home. The tracker reaches across neighbouring gardens, through trees and bush. It will not reach through a hill – this is too solid, which seems reasonable to us!
Are we happy with our Tabcat Cat Locator?
Yes, absolutely! The technology is human-friendly and easy to use, yet it is amazingly sophisticated. We are so happy we have the Tabcat. We could not be more impressed, and reassured. We will be updating our Tabcat as soon as we can.
The Tabcat is everything you need, for an economical, low maintenance price. The Tabcat packaging is also amongst the best we have come across, robust and secure. The box will keep your tags super safe until they reach your home.
Most importantly for us as cat owners, Tabcat allows our garden-loving cats to be located with ease and speed. On a dark night, standing in the garden we can’t see much, but with the Tabcat tracker, the cats become easier to locate. We no longer have to scrabble through flower beds to find a missing fur family member who does not want to come indoors!
Bonus Cat Tracking Movie
I am including our bonus report on the Tabcat in action. I actually needed to use it to find a missing collar, although thankfully Natasha is fine.
A collar went missing, no big deal you say, except it was outdoors girl Natasha. She was wearing a collar from our friends the Cool Cat Collar Company with a Tabcat tag attached!
So, of course, I had to go into the garden and find it! It turned out to be a useful learning experience, and I thought we would share what I learned while searching for the Tabcat tag.
On the trail with the Tabcat Tracker!
I knew from our original assessment of the Tabcat, that it is great to help find a missing feline, but could we find the smaller tag on its own? Our garden backs onto the tree-filled bush and stream.
This was not the easiest of places to find a collar and tag, as you can see in the video of Natasha’s playground!
Tips For Locating Your Tag with Tabcat Tracker
My experience hunting for Natasha’s tag, and finding it, has allowed me to note tips you might find helpful. While these refer to my cat, they can also be applied to any inanimate item you have attached a Tag too.
- The key is to start calmly and quietly. Take a breath. Scan around you carefully, until you get a signal.
- Be patient, be quiet, and listen to your handset.
- When you start getting a signal, walk in that direction. Stop and correct if your signal begins to fade.
- When you reach a full set of lights on the handset, stop and look carefully around. The object of your search is nearby.
- It took a few attempts to locate the cat tag on its own. Why? Because it was not attached to a larger object, Natasha!
- With patient searching, the tag and collar were found.
There is a difference between doing a well-staged ‘demo’ as we did this genuine ‘in the field’ example.
You are not looking for camera angles to make sure readers get a clear message, you are searching in real time for a real object. This is why we took the decision to do a second ‘update’ post on our Tabcat.
We hope you enjoy Natasha’s video, we had a lot of fun making it.
The Cost of the Best Tracker for Pets?
Tabcat has frequent special offers and price reductions. Click on any of the static images in this post to access the Tabcat site or use our affiliate link here:Keep Your Furry Friend Safe With Tabcat Tracker! Get Your Tabcat Tracker Today!
We hope you have enjoyed our Tabcat review, and find the whole concept as exciting as we do. This is the best cat tracker ever and a worthwhile investment for every cat parent. You can click through the officially branded images as part of our affiliate scheme with Tabcat.
Sources quoted in this post
- **Weighed down by science: do collar-mounted devices affect domestic cat behaviour and movement? Cayley E. Coughlin and Yolanda van Heezik Department of Zoology, University of Otago, PO Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand. Published in Wildlife Research 20/03/15.
- NOTE: New Zealand is including facial recognition technology to locate and reunite missing pets.
- TABCAT USER GUIDE
Marjorie is a motorbike riding blogger and award winning cat photographer who believes that everyone can create impressive cat photographs and fun movies with the camera they carry.
She is a Professional Member of the Cat Writers Association, Kuykendall Image Award winner and published photographer at the Guardian newspaper.