Dash Kitten has been using video for a long time now and even hosted a video challenge for readers way back in 2017 and I know that my video posts are as essential now for short form videos on Instagram and TikTok now as they were when the posts went live.
I have gathered my top four posts, including a Cat Writers’ Association winner, so that you can choose which one might be useful for a video you can create right now. No matter how small your video might be.
We are an official Amazon affiliate which costs you nothing but allows us to earn a modest commission.
Do I Have To Make Videos?
First let me say something.
I know many of my readers find movie making intimidating or frustrating. Remember though video takes many forms, and you don’t have to stand in front of the camera if you don’t want to. Everything from an instant Magic iPhone Movie to a planned promo video (see the end of this post) counts.
- You don’t have to spend a lot of time creating video either, but it is really good to know you have the skills to call on when you want to capture a special moment with your smartphone.
Think about the kind of things you can do with just a smartphone video camera:
- The simplest, cutest look your cat gives you over its shoulder.
- Crazy zoomies down the hallway with bonus points for knocking over the lampstand.
- Record an event, trim the clips and upload quickly so friends and family can share a cute cat moment.
- Film a product review of a cat toy or water fountain. Show the product, how it works. I showcase a product video at the bottom of this post.
- Video outside a window. Our friend Brian showcases his feral community with heartwarming footage.
- Create a video showcasing your local rescue. These are often small organisations so insights to the dedication of volunteers is priceless. Seniors, kittens and closeups of volunteer hands at work will melt hearts.
- Make a crafty how to. Check out our friend Bionic Basil for amazingly creative projects like this astonishing cat tree makeover.
- A tutorial how to using photos, video clips. The overlay video here is a quick and positive how-to with music.
Frustrated and no idea where to start? This post will get you creating with confidence, so grab your ‘phone and let’s go.
This post link has everything you need to make your own great smartphone movie and it works for dogs too.
Valuable tips specifically for rescues and adoptions can be found in this Cat Writers’ Award winning post.
A cat winning its first trophy at a show or a proud family graduation video, these are as important and valid as any work done by a big influencer. Try creating a video, maybe share it only when you feel confident but give it a try – today.
As always if you need extra help, you can email me.