Happy Hobbit Day from the Dash Kitten Crew here in Middle-Earth!
Today’s the day we celebrate the impact Tolkien’s books, including The Hobbit (1937) have had on our country. Join us and enjoy a glimpse at some of the beautiful and magical sights of Middle-Earth, New Zealand as seen in The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings movies.
What is Hobbit Day?
For many fans September the 22nd is the birthday shared by Bilbo and Frodo Baggins. Frodo is actually Bilbo’s second cousin once removed, but, we can see your eyes glazing over at the family genealogy, so lets show you a little bit of Hobbit movie history, and a slice of Hobbit life.
Some of the fun things people are doing for Hobbit Day
- Some brave humans are going shoeless because Hobbits do not wear shoes. * ouch * But, to give you an idea of Hobbit feet, check out this video. It shows the Lord of the Rings actors spending a lot of time preparing for their feet to take a starring role. Thankfully we think Hobbit cat paws would not need as much attention!
- Many people are celebrating Hobbit Day by reading, or re-reading their favourite parts of J R R Tolkein’s books.
- Some are attending magical events like the screening of The Two Towers at the sumptuous Roxy cinema, or enjoying a Hobbit feast with their friends.
- Some of us will be enjoying The Hobbit movies on DVD as this means we can curl up with mum and dad and enjoy extra snuggles!
- You can check out mum and dad’s visit to a special Hobbit event ‘An Unexpected Party’ (see the picture above).
- and, we hope that the Crew will encourage you to read the books for the first time, enjoy the movies, or listen to the audio books. We love the movies as they show New Zealand’s gorgeous scenery and tell a good story too.*
Spending Hobbit Day Somewhere Special
One of the biggest treats for Hobbit fans is to visit Matamata where fantasy meets reality head on. Here you can wander around Hobbiton, and even attend special events planned for Hobbit Day each year.
[tweetshare tweet=”Celebrate #HobbitDay with us. C’mon over!” via=”no”]
Hobbiton is a magical place, nestling amongst Matamata’s gorgeous rolling green hills. Here you can see the recreation of the original movie sets and imagine Hobbits going about their daily business, or preparing for Bilbo Bagins’ one hundred and eleventh birthday, bustling in and out of Hobbit holes, or visiting The Green Dragon Inn.
What will you be doing on Hobbit Day, wherever you are in the world right now?