Christmas is a time for gift-giving, family celebration or quiet contemplation. Whatever your schedule for the holiday period, I know time is limited so this week’s post is sort and sweet. Creating a lovely cat collage.
Collage and cats? You make this sound so easy? How?
You use the free version of Canva. It’s the most versatile online and smartphone app that helps you have fun getting creative faster.
Today’s challenge is to make a quick and easy collage using Canva.
What is Canva?
Canva is an easy to use online graphic design platform that can be used to create social media graphics, posters, invitations and the kind of visual content you might need to enhance your cat photos online. It has free and paid options. There is also a smartphone photo app that works a little bit differently but it’s worth trying for fast Instagram and Facebook posts.
The software includes lots of templates options so making your own pictures and cat collages are easier for designer newbies. There are plenty of elements like stars, shapes or text to add fun to your photos.
What Do I need to Make My Cat Collage?
You wll need the following:
- A free account with Canva, which is easy to set up.
- A handful of your favourite cat photos
- A few minutes to watch my mini-tutorial and read this post!
Let’s Create a Cat Collage
Set up your Canva accounts then follow these simple steps.
- Once you have your free account, you will arrive at the opening interface which is clear and easy to navigate.
- The quickest option for beginners is to do a search for the A4 or US Letter size option.
- I have chosen a simple shape for you to fill but once you become used to how Canva works you can explore other options.
- A new page will open with your blank A4 or US blank shape.
- Navigate to the Background option in the left column. Choose your free background then click on it to move it to the page.
- Your background will fill the screen without the need for resizing.
- Find the Uploads icon on the left.
- Click to upload your photos using the Uploads icon. A lower resolution is fine for social media, but use high-resolution images if you want to print off your cat collage as a poster, or postcard.
- Once you have your photos uploaded you need to drag them across on to your background. Photos can be added and resized and moving a photo around is very easy.
- Place your photos into an arrangement you like. Then add a couple of small graphics from the Elements’ option in the left panel.
Finishing Your Cat Collage
Once you have an arrangement you really like, save and download the finished image. Canva saves your work as you go but you need to let it know you are ready to download your work. Top right is the download icon which will display your download option.
Canva gives you the option to save your cat collage in a printable format or a JPEG. The print option is useful if you want to send a photograph to Snapfish or another online print service.
Once you have your finished collage you can submit it to the Four Fun Photo Projects challenge.
I hope you will join me and have fun with the Challenge.
There will be a prize for one of the participants who submit an image (or image set) during the four weeks of the challenge. I have a Deluxe large Kikki-K cream leather planner waiting and it’s ready for planning your dreams and goals in 2021 (which is going to be awesome – right?). The prize is available WORLDWIDE. The closing date is 31st December 2020.
How To Submit Images
- Email, your image(s) to me here.
- Limit 6 images maximum.
- Please send med/low-resolution images if possible.
The Other Challenges in This Series
- Week One – A Character Sketch of Your Cat
- Week Two – Transform Your Cat With a Magical Filter
- Week Three – Bokeh for Beginners. What is it How Do I Use It?
Finally, for the Holidays
We are surrounded by Christmas and even if it’s different and more challenging than previously I wish every one of my readers a safe and Happy Christmas holidays and a peaceful and positive 2021.