4th of October 2006
6th September 2013
Friends, my heart breaks. Today our beloved boy Dash passed away after being mauled by two dogs. My boy, who loved the outdoors, the sunshine, who didn’t mind having suncream or Filtabac on his ears when he went out in the sun, who yelled like crazy when it was dinner time. My boy is gone. My boy who we believed no-one else would want because he had micro-ophthalmia, our local vet could not save him.
A neighbour across the back investigated the noise he heard and found Dash, he rushed him down to the vet but he was too late. We are in shock. There is a weight on my heart – only last week we wrote about losing Jami, Homer and friend Smokey8. Dash and I are so proud of his blogging achievements, our daily strike rate has continued to climb with each passing week, and we do not want to lose our friends. Miranda may be waiting in the wings, and take over after a period of mourning. Please, friends – my grief knows no bounds I can write to more.
Marjorie, Paul, Peanut (17), Sienna, Miranda, Silver, Jack the Ginger Boy, Harvey the Foster. Tash the Kitten
One Year On – the blog post
A year ago today September the 6th 2013 (New Zealand time) we lost our beloved Founder Cat – Dash Kitten. International Pet Blogger and awesome, wonderful cat. His loss is one we are still coming to terms with and we take a moment today to honour our Best Boy.
Our Treasured Blog Rescue logo by Glogirly.com
We will take our inspiration for the tenor of our post from our mentor and friend Sparkle who passed away in August. She did not want people to mourn, she wished her friends to celebrate her life. So we will look for the blessings Dash’s blog has brought to us since it was founded in February 2012.
Our marvellous Dash Kitten Blanket created by a host of crafty friends co-ordinated by @NewtTheCat
Dash was a hero to many, a popular kitty on Twitter and keen fundraiser and enthusiastic helper at the fundraisers taking place; he threw himself into everything with gusto. He was a partially sighted rescue kitten who’s zest for life was legendary to those who knew him locally. Knowing his own good fortune he committed to help others as much as he could – he counted his blessings daily.
Friend Brian Frum honoured Dash when he helped the Cuteheads with a memorial run.
For Twitter pals:- #TheAviators #Angels are doing an Honours Flypast SEP 6 – 7 PM New Zealand – 8 AM UK
#TheAviators #Angels @MundarePeggy All are welcome to join us.
** Good Things from Dash **
- The support from friends since Dash passed has been immense. Their patience is ongoing. Even now, a year later, a friend will give encouragement with we falter. They never say get over it or move on. They simply offer love and encouragement.
- People read our blog posts – they share, they comment – it keeps us going, and we continue to improve!
- Our AnimalSOS posts are given attention on Google+, Twitter and FB thanks to our supporters, how lucky we are!
- We are inspired through International Pet Blogging Month by our fellow pet bloggers and friends – without Dash and the blog, our lives would not be as rich and full of joy as they are.
- The cards people sent about Dash are still hung on ribbons on our wall – they mean a lot to us. They make us smile that our boy was so loved.
- We kept a page of the wonderful memorial images created by friends for Dash – they are lovely!
- We have never forgotten the comment made by a friend, in our blog post announcing the blog would continue, that it was taking a team to replace Dash Kitten. It made us smile more than anything 🙂
UPDATE: I was not going to touch this post again, but the response and outpouring of grief for Dash has been so overwhelming that I am humbled at the impact he has made on the blogging and Twittersphere. We thought we just tweeted, appealed and harried people until they gave in. It turns out he had the respect of hundreds, if not thousands of friends who appreciated his work, and the help he gave. I tried to take down all the candle messages but they keep moving.
Today I learned that dear @NikePurrfektcat had started a brief YouCaring appeal in Dash’s memory for a rescue we nominated, she did it as a surprise and – I was stunned at the response of so many.
We are profoundly grateful for the gracious blog post tributes from our fellow cat bloggers Glogirly, Sparklecat, MariodaCat, CathyKeisha, Texas. How can we ever thank you for your immense support as this terrible time, your comments, and your deep love and support.
Miranda is tugging at my sleeve asking when her next pet shopping post goes up – I told her we need to take a breath, but we hope to be back to help others, one day.
Thank you for joining us today.
Harvey Button, Miranda Kitten and Silver Kitten
Staff at DashKitten.com
Marjorie is a motorbike riding blogger and award winning cat photographer who believes that everyone can shoot and edit wonderful pictures they love regardless of the camera they use.
She is a Professional member of the Cat Writers Association, Kuykendall Image Award winner and published photographer at the Guardian newspaper.