Today is Change a Pet’s Life Day in America, and we thought we should support this with
three four important tips aimed at health and safety for cat owners in particular. We ARE a feline household after all!
The Change a Pet’s Life Day Action Plan!
- Take your cat to the vet. Too many cats never get to a vet – fact. We mean, really? What’s with this ‘my cat doesn’t need a vet’ myth? Make your cat’s life better right this minute – book a vet health check, and GO. Or are you one of those people who dumps a cat at a kill shelter because they have a UTI due to your own negligence?
- Feed Your Cat Good Food. For many it’s a case of you buy what you can, when you can can, and this is fine! A loved cat on Friskies is as good as a pedigree on a raw diet. Just remember, try and stretch to maybe a packet of freeze-dried treats for special occasions, or to share a piece of your chicken or fish on a saucer – so you both get to enjoy something special.
- Spend Time with Your Cat. Many people lead hectic lives, even if they work from home. It is important to ensure you both have some down time – stepping away from the desk, or the kitchen, and making a real effort to turn off by grabbing the Neko Fly, or cuddling your cat. Yes, it can take time to turn off, let go of the ‘Must Do’ or ‘Need To…’ but it’s worth the effort, because you get to spend time together! You know, doing ‘nothing’ as part of your day is great for your cat and for you!
- Be Safety Conscious. In the UK at the moment the hashtag #UKCatKiller is getting a lot of attention. An unknown madman is systematically murdering cats throughout the South East of the country. The usually carefree cats of England, who love their gardens, now live in fear. UK folks PLEASE ensure your cat is in at night.
Change a Pet’s Life Day Action Plan – Implement!
OK now go and do it. I know many of you will not need to do the first step – but some will. Go and change a pet’s life today.
If you don’t have a pet, but love animals :-
- Fundraise for a shelter. Dogs, Cat, Rabbits, Owls – they all need your time and energy.
- Volunteer at a shelter – cats needs cleaning, dogs need walking, so do ferrets (we think!)
- Help at an adoption event.
- Donate food to a shelter, or blankets, or money. Our friends at AvertingCATastrophe a 501(c)3 are always in need of cat food – your local rescue may be too.
Our Mum and Dad changed all our lives by adopting us all from shelters. We are loved, we are fed and we have a safe home. Change a pet’s life today by following our tips. Your own life will be much richer for it.
Change a Pets Life Day Reporter