The Dash Kitten Crew present our Middle-Earth review of the Bilbo Baggins Costume from The Hobbit movie. Readers know that an integral part of our blog here at Dash Kitten is celebrating the culture of our adopted home country, New Zealand.
The Hobbit movie ‘live’ costume tour has finished, but we present for your enjoyment, the superb costume of sevral characters from the movi series. T
This post showcases Bilbo Baggins who goes adventuring in J R R Tolkien’s The Hobbit.
Bilbo Baggins’ Costume Photo Notes
When we photographed it, the costume for Bilbo was situated at the building formerly known as Kirkauldie and Staines (now David Jones), Wellington.
As it was in the middle of the brightly lit ladies wear department, it proved a challenge to photograph, but we managed some good shots of the genuine costume worn by Martin Freeman in The Hobbit. You can even see the dirt on the hem of his robe!
Notes on the fabric and embellishment of Bilbo Baggins’ Costume:-
- Bilbo’s outer coat is a blue velvet/velour lined in textured grey (linen?) with what appears to be a fringe of sheepskin around the collar. Also note the very impressive (genuine) dust, dirt and grime along the hem of the jacket! Full-length image at the bottom of this post.
- The cuffs mirror the fringing around the collar.
- The belt is leather and the surface decoration looks hand tooled.
- The Mithril vest looks perfect. It sparkles and gleams. Check the chainmaille fabric and superb embellishment!
- Under the Mithril is a simple collarless linen shirt in a pale oatmeal colour.
- The plain green waistcoat looks like linen and it fastens with the genuine Weta Workshp Brass Buttons with an acorn motif.
- The Hobbit trousers are a light tan corduroy, cropped even on (Martin Freemen. (Martin is not a tall actor.)
- Note the leather ‘brace’ or loop (below) that keeps Sting from swinging dangerously.
- We hope you love Bilbo Baggins costume as much as we do. Check out the rest of our series of Hobbit Costumes here.