Do you remember my post about filters, or my Snapseed tutorial? The response to both of these showed that filters and apps are very popular. Filters can transform your photos on social media from subtle adjustments to wild swirls and colour changes. So, let me introduce my latest discovery, the BeFunky App for beginners.
Our colleagues Bionic Basil and the B Team and Cathrine Garnell told us about BeFunky, the feature packed online editor she recommends. You can read Cathrine’s assessment of the software Be Funky in our filter post. The smartphone app is a small and portable version of the fabulous program.
The BeFunky App won’t turn you into an amazing blogger like the B Team, but it will let you have a lot of fun creating great images for social media and, as a bonus, it will let you create your own favourite ‘Best Nine’ collection for display on Instagram. This is especially useful if you are not sure you like the #BestNine apps selection the apps make for you!
- Check Our Instagram Best Nine Apps Post
Where do I get the BeFunky App?
The smartphone app can be downloaded straight to your ‘phone via the App Store (Apple) or through Google Play (Android) . I have added links to help you find the downloads at the end of this post. Check them out after you check the app showcase.
What can the App do?
The App lets you edit confidently with a range of powerful tools. Everything from simple cropping to adjusting exposure and straightening the crooked horizon we all end up with. For editing photos on the go to upload to social media quickly, this app is the business.
Tools included in BeFunky:
- Photo Effects introduces you to stunning filters.
- Touchups removes red eye and whitens teeth!
- Fonts let you add messages that matter.
- Paint mode adds a splash of focused colour anywhere.
- Elegant Textured backgrounds set off photos beautifully.
- The app works paw-in-paw with the online Photo App.
Is the BeFunky App easy to use?
Yes. It really is very user friendly, especially if you are new to photo apps. You can play around a lot, make all kinds of mistakes and masterpieces while you learn.
All of the operations are super simple and need no detailed explanations. To confirm an adjustment you have made, simply tap the tick. To select an effect or find a filter slide along the options at the bottom of the screen and tap your selection to change your photo.
- Don’t like what you have done? Tap the cross to undo. See an L in a circle? That lets you undo too.
Using A BeFunky overlay
Here’s an example of how versatile just one element, the overlay (the layer on top of your photo) can be. I am using the photo you see above of Tibby our foster kitten.
- The first sample shows the kind of overlay you can choose. Check underneath the photo.
- When you tap to choose an option sliders appear.
- Tap again to open the window to select colours and opacity.
- Tap the tick to confirm your selection
- An option to Save will appear top right of your screen.
Our opinion on the BeFunky App
The BeFunky app is a lot of fun, especially if you have not tried many smartphone photo apps out before. You can learn a lot simply by tapping filters, or adding frames, without saving your images.
If you do enjoy BrBunky, you may be impressed enough to subscribe to the paid version of the online photo editing service. This is bigger, and even more impressive, if that’s possible, and if you want an inexpensive but versatile online service it is well worth a look.
- Be Funky for iPhone
- Be Funky for Android
- Snapseed Post with free article download
- Check our post on the Instagram Best Nine App
Marjorie is a motorbike riding blogger and award winning cat photographer who believes that everyone can shoot and edit wonderful pictures they love regardless of the camera they use.
She is a Professional member of the Cat Writers Association, Kuykendall Image Award winner and published photographer at the Guardian newspaper.