We have been inspired to write a Self Hosting Tech Help post after our response to Carol Bryant’s excellent tech post and BlogPaws® Google Hangout was eaten by Disqus. Rather than write it again – we decided to follow up Carol’s thoughts with our own post. Carol was such an inspiration we have to jump in and add our 10 cents worth to one particular element of blogging – Hosting for a WordPress blog.
- Our post is aimed at the beginner who wants to know what hosting is, and is not a knowledgeable and seasoned blogger. We are not experts at high-end tech but know what it is like to be faced with so many options you just back off and run away in total panic!
If you want the more versatile option ‘self hosted WordPress’ is the way forward on your blogging journey. This helpful infographic explains the pros and cons of the two types of WordPress blog. We will also tell you about our host. While you are free to chose any host you feel comfortable with, we will show you our own, Rochen, as a recommendation simply because they are very good, and you have a measure you can judge your own prospective host by.
When setting up our blog and knowing we wanted to be with WordPress and Self-Hosted, we set about investigating potential ‘hosts’ for our blogs. If you are not sure what a host is, don’t be scared or confused. It means exactly that – they make space or ‘host’ your blog, its images, text and video on their servers (and these are seriously BIG computers) so your blog appears safely online. Doing a bit of research into a potential host is a good idea. Ask friends for recommendations, check out ‘best web host’ post on tech blogs. TIP Don’t let anyone push or hurry you into selecting a host.
You can look on your blog as a book in a very big library. Your blog or web site is all yours – your space and ideas, your inspiration and images. Together with a lot of other blogs you become part of a giant library called a ‘server’. This is where our recommendation for an host comes in. We are, and have been since we launched DashKitten, with an American company called Rochen.com.
Having read the Blog Paws post, and also read about the sometimes negative press given to ‘shared’ servers, we feel we did our research pretty well, and then we did the ‘right thing’ when chosing our host. So, why do we like Rochen as our blog hosts? Here’s a yardstick to judge your potential hosts by.
Self Hosting – Does Your Potential host Offer This…
- Technical Help available 24/7 Is the tech team fast to respond? Ours has round the clock service for us, its customers.
- Rochen have their own servers, does your host? Our Host has servers in the USA and Europe. No one else grabs their server speed.
- Look at your host’s charges. Our folks at Rochen have modest charge for a basic plan. Remember, cheapest is not always best – compare what it on offer.
- If you are the tech type you will appreciate a good host’s comprehensive tech. facilities. We like the fact our host, Rochen, are safe, fast and secure.
- We are proud to host an affiliate link – so we can put our trust in them front and centre, where it counts.
So, if you need an host for your self hosted blog we recommend them 100%. We invite you to head over and take a look with no obligation, and whichever host you select; do your research before you make your decision.