We received a complimentary Petcube Camera for review. We only share news and products we feel are relevant to our readers. The opinions here are 100% our own and we are responsible for the content of this post and any affiliate links.
Welcome to the world of Petcube magic where the working pet parent can keep a watchful video eye with this camera for cats (and dogs too!)
We first met the Petcube Camera and their Senior Marketing Manager, Rachel Youens, at BlogPaws® in June 2016, and we were impressed. We welcomed the chance to review this fun piece of pet tech equipment. Sure, there are plenty of pet cameras on the market, but they are of variable quality and none, we believe, matches the Petcube‘s functionality, ease of use, and stylish design. This is one elegant cat cam!
Petcube Magic Connecting Pets and Parents
Here at the Dash Kitten Crew we have been testing the 720p Video model, which has 2-Way Audio, a built-in laser toy and is available in three colours; matt silver, rose-pink or black. We can tell you that we love it, and it’s a lot of fun!
Location, Location, Location!
It took us some time and experimentation to find the best spot for our interactive cat camera. On our visits around the Petcube community we have seen a variety of ‘perches’; living rooms, work rooms, rescues, cat cafes, and rooms specifically set up as a family pet room.
We have set up our Petcube where it gets plenty of natural light, and the location balances privacy with a view of the cat flap for monitoring cat activity. We tried the hall but, aside from the good length, we found the light too dim. In its current location the camera is popular, with lots of visitors coming to DashKitten’s camera in New Zealand during ‘opening hours’.
Let us give you a quick rundown of the best pet video camera on the market from the point of view of a constantly fussing Mum and her fur family.
- The camera is good quality, and has a nice wide-angle lens 138 degrees. So, no wishing you could move the camera, just – a – bit…
- The camera has two-way audio so you can chat to your pet.
- It has non slip feet and a chewproof cord!
- The Petcube has a controllable 5mW laser beam. The laser is safe, but, respect the product and what lasers can do OK?
- Your smart phone can take photographs or video footage of your pet in action for you to show off.
Petcube Magic and the Pet Camera App
The plus points are mounting in the Petcube‘s favour – right? To the list we can add the pet monitor app. This is simple to use and works on our iPhone (iOS 8.0 or higher), as well as Dad’s Android (4.0 or higher). The app actually works on Mum’s older iPhone 4S, so we think it will function most recent ‘phones.
The camera is clear and picks up plenty of detail. It is easy to set up and you remain in total control at all times.
As pet monitor apps go this one is clean, simple and easy to navigate. The app works best with a good signal on your phone – which is fair enough as you are using a mobile telephone, an app and a wifi network.
A lighter signal might cause a bit of frustration if, like us, you live near a hill, but, once we situated our PetCube where it picked up a good signal things began to really rock, and we mean rock. The Petcube stood firmly on its perch during the 7.8 earthquake the Dash Kitten crew felt in late November 2016. Those non-slip feet work.
What does the Petcube App do?
- The App allows you to set up sound and motion notifications, so you can monitor pet movement.
- Let’s you schedule some playtime so your cat or pup doesn’t get too bored.
- The app is easy to use and set up on your smart phone. If we can do it you can too.
- You keep full control of who has access to the Petcube at all times, and when they can view your cats or pups.
- There are three sharing options for your Pecube. Family – always available exclusively to your family members, Friends – for whom you set opening times, they can play with your pet and talk to them (if you wish) and Public which is available to all – you set the times and settings for the camera’s time online – for public these can be more restricted.
Petcube Magic and What Might Go Wrong
From what we have tried during our ‘road test’, things like moving, resetting the Petcube and plugging it into various outlets; many issues may come down to signal strength, and actually setting up your pet monitor properly. This is not hard but everyone makes a mistake sometimes, so just retrace your steps and try again.
Can They Make The Best Pet Camera Even Better?
Yes they can.
Petcube Care was recently introduced. Petcube owners get 4 free hours of recording time, with an optional paid subscription service that allows you to store 10 or 30 days of video history in the cloud. Comprehensive details of Petcube Care can be found here.
Research and development is progressing as such a speed that while we were assessing the Petcube 720p for review, the new night vision Petcube Play 1080p (see our review) appeared, and the new Petcube Bites which is a pet camera with treats. How popular as the concept of an elegant design focused treat dispenser? Well, it exceeded its Kickstarter goal by 159%!
So, for the pet parent who worries about what is happening at home, or wants to engage their pet in some online play. This is the perfect gift! You are welcome to use our affiliate link here.
Petcube Magic Tech Officer for
Petcube Magic Keeps Pets Connected Worldwide