This post is sponsored by Sure Petcare and we received a complimentary ‘Surefeed’ for review. We only share news and products we feel are relevant to our readers, because you matter to us. The opinions here are 100% our own and we are responsible for the content of this post. Oh, and Dusty has said he will not give the feeder back!
Hmmm SureFeed Cat feeder eh? An automatic pet bowl they said….. Keeps my food fresh they said. Keeps it from getting dry they said…… * Dusty drifts off to sleep…* Well, I can dream…… ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz
I heard Mum call from her office. She called again…….. “DUSTY” I sat up and tried to pay attention.
“You don’t eat all your food at once do you?” she asked. I admitted that sometimes, as a frail senior, I tend to forget my food is there, but I remember when I get hungry! It’s difficult being a newly adopted rescue senior. I am still learning that I can eat what I want.
‘I have been asked to review what looks like a very smart bowl that would keep your food moist, it’s called the SureFeed. Would you like to try it?’ My ears perked up. ‘Would I??? You bet I would.
Can I help write the review too?’
Dusty’s review of the SureFeed Feeder – A Sealed Pet Bowl
This must be one of the top pet products we have tried in our fur family. As an ecologically conscious family we were impressed from the very start. The packaging is smart, sturdy and recyclable, and the feeder was very securely packed for its journey to our door.
Setting up the bowl is super easy. No complicated fiddling and fussing. Just add the batteries and you are ready to go. There is a comprehensive ‘How To’ manual, if you don’t feel confident at any point, but wait? Why do you need a manual?
Dusty *grins* ‘Let me tell you more’.
Things we like about the SureFeed Sealed Pet Bowl
- The Surefeed feeder takes four 1.5v C size batteries. This makes it a solid and stable weight which is not easy to push across the floor. There are no cables to trip on, or snag a claw on, or for kittens to chew. The batteries last about six months, depending on frequency of use.
- Sure Petcare, the multi award-winning makers of the SureFeed Cat feeder bowl, are everywhere! Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube. So, if you need help you can find them! They also give back to local rescues in the UK. We love a company with a conscience!
- The bowl base is a clean white and our fitted bowl (a grey one) sits snugly in the top. Because I can nudge food out of the bowl, mum found out quickly that the set up is easy to clean.
- You can get bowls in a selection of colours. Check out some of the range available in our local Animates store (picture above). Note:- the bowl is hand washable only but its size means this is no hassle at all. You can also get divided bowls with two compartments.
- The open and shut lid that keeps the food fresh is reassuringly quiet.
- For those who prefer metal bowls, or ceramic, SureFlap has a short-term solution here, but read on for our fantastic news.
STOP PRESS At a recent Pet Expo here in Wellington (October 2017), we were told that a stainless steel bowl will be available before the end of the year. The search has taken longer than expected as Sure Petcare have some stringent demands of the bowl and aim to keep the bowl at an economical price, but also manufactured to their particular specifications for health conscious pet owners.
Meet the Manual. What makes the SureFeed THE Top Feeder
This comes with a manual?
You bet, and it is the most friendly and easy to read stuff you could hope to find. It covers all the questions you might have about the automatic feeder and its use including :-
- How the feeder works,
- Fitting the batteries
- What the buttons and lights do
- How the sensors work
- Where to place the bowl (important do’s and don’ts here) and
- An explanation of the Training Mode.
Why Do You Need a ‘Training Mode’ on a Cat Food Bowl?
This is a masterstroke by the developers of the feeder. How many of your humans will be saying ‘Oh but I could never get my cat to use that‘. As a fur family we think you would be very pleasantly surprised. We also know what your arguments might be, so let us explain one of the most impressive elements of the SureFeed.
Dusty’s Report of the Training Function
The hinged transparent lid slides up and down, triggered by sensors on the front and sides of the feeder. This movement would scare cats the most, right? Enter the ‘Training Mode‘ which allows your human to set up a staged introduction. This is what Mum did with me, so we can say paw on heart, that this works.
- Stage 1 – The lid stays open. This allowed me to get used to the shape, size and set up of the bowl. It is deep enough that even I could not push big amounts of food out.
- Stage 2 – There is a small amount of movement in the lid as the sensors kick in. It’s about an inch/2.5 cms or so. Just enough to introduce the idea of movement near the bowl. I took a few days to get used to this.
- Stage 3 – More movement is introduced when I approach the feeder. The lid moves about half way across. As soon as I approach the feeder the lid slides quietly back. It did not take me too long to stop being a bit surprised and simply tuck in to my food.
- Stage 4 – The lid closes fully between feeds, but it opens quietly when I approach the feeder.
- This stage has taken a while for me to become familiar with. Mum believes slow and steady is the key to introduction and believes we rushed this step. We decided to take a step backward and try again. I am happier with the bowl this time.
Patience is Key with the Surefeed Cat feeder. It Really Pays Dividends
This is a high quality pet bowl, an investment of your money and time, which is why the Training Mode impressed us so much. At every stage in the manual you are told – be patient, do not rush. Allow your cat to become used to each stage of the bowl in their own time.
There is no rigid timetable – your cat is your guide – days, weeks or a month are the investment you make for a happy cat familiar with the bowl. You can set out for work, or a day’s commitments, with a happy heart and a clear conscience.
Did I like it? Honestly?
Yes. I am really happy with the bowl. Mum fills in the morning, and I can dip into the feeder during the day. It is washed and my food refreshed for my evening meal. It took me a while to get used to the feeder but then I’m a senior, albeit an active one. Mum and I worked as a team, learning the bowl’s operation and sounds. If we can – you can too!
We also recommend checking locally and your country’s online stores for buying options. The SureFeed is available worldwide.
Surefeed Feeder Review