We have six ways to really annoy your blog readers. Can you guess what they are? Yep, we have ways to set your fans running away from your blog – fast!
Our editor (Miranda) gets fierce if we mess up. So this week, instead of telling you what we believe works for blogs, we look at some things that will not encourage your readers to stick around! Let’s spotlight some ‘blogging misdemeanours’ we have come across and hope you enjoy our mini workshop on remaining friends with your blog readers for a long time!
Blog Readers will thank you if you DON’T :-
- Have a small sneaky already ‘pre-checked’ opt-in under your post. People subscribe if they want to – not if you force them. If they miss the opt-out and start getting updates from your site – their first reaction might be a negative one.
- Appeal for subscribers with a BIG screen wide banner across the top of your page, or as a screen filling pop-up. This lacks elegance, and interrupts people’s enjoyment, especially if you do a stunning job otherwise on your blog!
- If you want an appeal that might not make them leave your site fast, try a small discrete pop-down at the bottom of the screen!
- Please, don’t have text that bounces, or sweeps in across the page. Not only is it unreadable, it’s unbelievable and, yes, this one really happened to us!
- Don’t have too many social share buttons. It’s a balance we all work to get right – Too Many Is Too Much! When in doubt start with your most productive social media channels and add from here.
- Don’t bully people into leaving comments. A genuine question is fine, anything else looks like contrived, false and makes people feel manipulated.
These are some of the more extreme tactics we encountered, and you will rarely find them on a pet blog. Pop-ups need to be handled well – and some people do them well, but most are amateurish and truly annoying to the reader looking for information.
Be confident, you don’t need too many tricks.
Now, we shared our bugbears but I reckon there are plenty more – if you have one to share, be our guest in the comments!