Every feral, everywhere should have access to TNR. Trap-Neuter-Return is an humane approach to managing and caring for ferals. Alley Cat Allies maintain that it is the ONLY effective method of stabilizing feral colonies.
It is National Feral Cat Day and alongside Alley Cat Allies we are helping promote TNR from the Alley ….to Main Street.
- Feral cats have lived alongside humans for more than 10,000 years. They are the same as us, but they are not socialised like us. They cannot be adopted and tamed and cuddled.
- Ferals can be as healthy and happy – they just need the care of the community, its sympathy, its love and willingness to understand them.
- In the last ten years the number of local US governments willing to adopt official policies that encourage TNR has increased. This can only be good news for ferals BUT…..
- Frighteningly, in most cities ferals are still trapped and killed in shelters. WHAT THE HECK? Do I hear a laugh at the word ‘shelter’ eh? No shelter here – only terror and horror. 100% of all ferals and 70% of all cats entering shelters DIE.
- THEY DO NOT LIVE.
We support National Feral Cat Day, TNR from the Alley to Main Street. We support ferals. We believe the need our protection. Why? The seemingly casual ‘abuse’ of cats is why. We, as pet parents, must use every day to build a more compassionate world for cats.
- Speak up when you hear a joke about cats being hurt – calmly respond that you don’t think it’s funny. Don’t rise to teasing comments – let them feel foolish that they have not made you rise to their childish ‘bait’.
- Protest when someone posts a REALLY Not Funny picture of a cat being teased or abused on your work network, or amongst your friends. Be known as the one who will stand up and be a serious voice of conscience, not just part of the ‘jovial ha ha ha’ at an animals suffering.
- YELL on Twitter about the next Facebook abuse abuse you see. DO NOT SHARE the abuse itself – block it and warn your friends. Facebook thrives on the controversy generated by these posts. Stifle the flames don’t fan them. Don’t give negative social media free advertising and hits.
We ask for understanding. compassion and action. NOW!
Former Stray, adopted
from a NO KILL SHELTER