Google Analytics (GA) the one must have ‘one thing you need as a pet blogger’ and we have been scared stiff of it for months! Then someone suggested Mum check to see if there is a ‘plugin’ for adding GA to our self hosted WordPress blog (plugin is a WP thing, not a Blogger thing).!
There are, in fact, several plug ins! So TIP :- Before you choose a plug in for your self-hosted WP blog – see how many stars it has. 4* or 5* is cool. We chose this one “Google Analytics for WordPress”. Check the link for information but TIP :- download from within WP. We are currently monitoring our plugin to see how good it is and will report in about a week.
OK Let’s see what you need to do if you want to follow our path :-
- Make sure you have your Google Analytics UA code. If you don’t have one yet>>>>>
- Go to the Analytics home page here. Get yourself an account and a UA number. The UA number is how you track a blog’s activity. Take your time at this step, don’t panic, just look around until you feel comfortable.
- Go to WP and make sure your downloaded plugin is activated (it’s an alphabetical list) check under ‘Plugins’ on the left side of your Dashboard.
- Add the code you got from Google in the box at the top of the plug in page, this will be clearly indicated.
- Check and adjust any other settings – each one is clearly explained.
- Sit back and wait for 24 hours. This is how long it takes to get GA up and running so don’t jump up and down if you don’t get anything right away!
If you have other tips – or work with Blogger, pass on your tips for us to share (and you get the credit!)