What is Instagram‘ Today’s Guest post explains it for newbies Sass and Lou are regular users so I asked them to explain it for novices like me. Take it away Sass and Lou.
For some of us, Instagram is another one of those, ‘OK, this is wonderful, but what the heck am I supposed to actually *do* with it?’ social media networks.
So, it might help to think of Instagram as Twitter for the more visually inclined, or for those who are forever wanting to use more than 140 characters to say what they want to say.
What is Instagram? How is it different from Twitter
- Twitter is limited to 140 characters with a picture; With Instagram, a picture not only says a thousand words, but you get more characters to say what you want to say, as well. Instagram, like Twitter, also uses hashtags (#<–those pound sign things, or, for example, #cats).
- In many ways, Instagram has Twitter beat when it comes to the use of hashtags (#). Love them or hate them, hashtags are here to stay, and Instagram is a great place to use them, in order to narrow down searches, or to find what you want to look at in the search function of Instagram.
- Instagram is also a great place to play with your own pictures or photographs, and get almost instant feedback from a potential base of millions of people. You may have to post a few pictures in order to start getting feedback, but once you do start getting feedback, you just might get hooked, the way I did.
- Don’t forget, when you see pictures that you like on Instagram, you can ‘like’ a picture, or comment upon it as well.
How to Join Instagram
Joining Instagram is quick and easy. Just go to instagram and follow the directions. You’ll be up and running with a new Instagram account in no time.
- In order to post your best pictures, though, you’ll probably want some apps to help you out in the creativity department. Photoshop is always a great place to start, but I’ve had great luck with keeping my pictures sweet & simple, with a very easy to use app known as ‘Photolettering’, for example. (There are many others to choose from as well; I just don’t want to overwhelm anyone with a list) Photolettering is something I got for free from the Apple App Store.
Lou gets inventive on Instagram
In short, Instagram is a great way to see and show off your creativity and that of your friends and followers! Come on, join the fun and give it a whirl. You’ll be glad you did.