You know the saying ‘Comparison is the Thief of Joy‘? Do you as a pet parent, cat blogger, writer, or creative of any kind, compare yourself to others in your field and feel less than fabulous about it, especially when you are starting your own journey?
As creatives we need to take positive steps to make ourselves feel better when the comparison gremlin strikes. It means stepping up and getting active. Exactly what you do will be different for each person or business. Maybe you can get involved in a pet promotion or sponsored campaign, or attend craft fairs and get your name in the public eye.
If you don’t make it onto a campaign, or get a submission published, search for hints at tips on how to polish your writing or presentation skills. Maybe this BlogPaws® post can help you get started. One important thing to remember is this :- sometimes it isn’t you at all, the sponsor, or publisher had a different focus or idea.
The thief of joy cannot take away an opportunity that comes your way
A blogger will eventually make a successful campaign submission, or a writer may get that first story published in an anthology. Fantastic! This is a success under your belt – keep going then as the saying goes, ‘rinse and repeat‘. Until it does happen – you keep polishing your skills, and loving what you do.
- ‘Aspiring to be like someone is great. Comparing yourself to someone can be disastrous”…. Elvis Michael.
Combat the thief of joy with these tips
- Attend a conference like BlogPaws. Learn skills, network, make yourself known to brands and people.
- We all have to start somewhere. Our favourite blogs all began with that one post and kept going. So, make that bracelet, write that post, or dog treat recipe!
- We learn as we go. If we were born experts we would not need SEO help, or BlogPaws, or the tech guy, or guest posts or a new blog theme or SEO tuition – but we do!
- Success is relative. We at Dash Kitten are happy to do sponsored posts but being overseas it’s a challenge sometimes. We have kept trying, however, and after time and diligent effort, we are now doing a selection of quality sponsored posts that fit our niche.
- If we can you can too. Our recent selection for sponsored posts is a measure of our success. For you the number of sponsored posts will be different, but, you will succeed with informed committment and persistence.
- Be yourself. Learn from others but be you, find your niche and focus.
- Be inspired by good pictures, great ideas and think ‘I do as well as that’. Don’t copy but remember inspiration nourishes the soul!
- Break new ground if you feel you can. Blogging is now worldwide and blogs are starting to include overseas readers in giveaways if they are able to. These forward thinking blogs have a vision, they see beyond borders to the wider world of readers and buyers. If you have a vision – follow it and see what happens.
You will get better, you will be amazing and, when you look back, don’t forget to encourage those following you along the creative path and remember those who lent a paw, or encouraged you when you lost focus.
Don’t let the thief of joy take hold – each of us is unique and special – SEIZE THE MOMENT!
Thief of Joy Fighter