Set that hashtag on fire! Join us while we show how your own hashtags, and sharing, can give an event or announcement a big boost, maybe even help it go viral! Effective hashtag use can help you promote a sponsored post, or share your experience and excitement of an event worldwide. Relevant hashtags can also give your own online presence a boost.
Why share an event hashtag?
We were lucky to be able to attend the BlogPaws® conference in 2016. Previously, we relied on the Twitter, Facebook and Instagram shares of our friends and colleagues lucky enough to be there.
The difference their sharing made to us cannot be underestimated – we felt included and involved, especially when a sharer responded directly to us either then, or later (when they had time!) This year we repaid the generosity of conference buddies by sharing on our own social media channels.
People can’t attend events for lots of reasons; work commitments, lack of funds, emergencies, or simply a fear of flying, and they appreciate the insights, news and information attendees at an event share. Those of you ‘on the ground’ can share a speaker or sponsor’s special announcements, and your tweet or share could be the one to take the news to thousands around the world.
Other Reasons Hashtags Matter
- “Hashtags are really effective for shared interests, and incredibly important in the work with lost & found pets across all social media. They enable us to tap into audiences in specific locations, and conversations about events taking place near where a pet was last seen. These special interest groups are always keen to help a lost, stolen, found or adoptable pet in their community.” quote from @WherePetsAreFound.
Hashtag of Fire! Isn’t it ‘showing off’…..?
Showing off? Heck no. Followers are excited when bloggers take time to share their images, videos and live video from events. From social media focused BlogPaws, to Harry Potter fandom event #LeakyCon, or technology focused South by Southwest® #SXSW, actually seeing the sponsors stands in the exhibition halls, images of a speaker in action, or reading nuggets of their inspiring wisdom is exciting! Not only may your tweet go around the world, your online friends and colleagues will remember you as a generous sharer.
TIP:- If you are on Twitter make sure to complete your important ‘bio’. Need help? Check here.
Hashtag on Fire! Tips to help you go Viral
- Is there a specific event hashtag, find it and use it. An example is the BlogPaws event – the hashtag is #BlogPaws
- Make your image a thrilling, or exciting one. No, this doesn’t mean perfection or focus – capturing a magical moment and sharing # matters.
- Remember your focus audience if you blog. #Catlovers? #Doglovers? #ComputerGeeks?
- Don’t overdo hashtags. We recommend a three tag limit on Twitter, and more for Instagram.
- On Twitter? Keep a column open specifically for the hashtag so you don’t miss exciting news, and so you can respond.
- Use Bitly to shrink a long link. Chck out How to use Bitly, and Customising Bitly
- Respect a speakers copyright when taking a picture of a slideshow. As a personal reminder it’s awesome but – don’t share without permission.
If you attended a cool event like #BlogPaws, Global Pet Expo, or Barkworld; please share the fun, the news and your discoveries. Remember that on the other side of the world, a blogger dreams of standing beside you one day, and, until their dreams come true, your shares will inspire them.